1 (18 ounce) box cake mix, your choice of flavor... avoid those with pudding in the mix
1 1/2 to 2 cups flour, add until not too sticky to handle
4 large eggs room temperature
1⁄2 cup margarine or butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, substitute with whatever suits the cake mix flavor
3⁄4 cup nuts (optional)
3⁄4 cup chocolate chips or cinnamon chips or any other flavor chips you might want to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Pour the cake mix into a mixing bowl. Stir in 1& 1/2 cups flour.
- Make a well in the center and add the eggs, margarine and vanilla extract.
- With an electric beater mix on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes until the dough does not stick to the sides of the mixing bowl. It will look and feel like play dough! this is where you add more flour if you need it.
- On a lightly floured board, divide dough into two halves.
- Pat and form each half into a log about 1" thick.
- Put onto a lightly sprayed cookie sheet or on parchment paper on cookie sheet
- Flatten the top of each cookie log until it is about 3" wide.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 and do not turn off.
- Gently slide one cookie log onto the counter or piece of parchment paper.
- Using a serrated knife or better still an electric carving knife, slice each log across the width into 3/4" slices.
- Place cookies cut side down back onto the baking sheet and return them to the oven for another 10 minutes turn over and bake another 10 minutes
- Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt Wilton candy melts and dip bottom of biscotti put on rack to harden
- Store cooled cookies in an airtight container or freeze.
- Variations include:.
- PECAN BISCOTTI: butter pecan cake mix - chopped pecans - maple extract.
- APRICOT BISCOTTI: golden cake mix - chopped dried apricots - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- CRANBERRY BISCOTTI: vanilla cake mix - chopped dried cranberries - toasted slivered almonds - almond extract.
- ORANGE SPICE BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - grated orange zest.
- GINGER BISCOTTI: spice cake mix - walnuts - chopped crystalized ginger pieces.
- CHOCOLATE-CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI: chocolate cake mix - chocolate piece or chips, freeze first so they retain their shape during baking.
- LEMON ALMOND BISCOTTI: lemon cake mix - toasted slivered almonds.