1 quart warm water
2 TBSP honey
1 lb flour
1/4 cup olive oil
3 TBSP salt
4 TSP garlic powder or fresh pureed garlic
2 lbs 8oz of Semolina flour or durum wheat
NOTE Semolina gives it more flavor!
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Mix the honey, flour, olive oil, salt, garlic and all but a handful of the durum wheat. Once the ingredients have formed a dough, continue to knead for about 10 minutes adding the remaining flour as necessary to form a smooth, soft dough.
2. Place the dough in an oil bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover and let it rise in a warm place until double in volume.
3. Punch the dough down. Let rise again until it doubled in volume the second time.
4. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Shape the pieces into loaves. put slights on the tops of them.
5. Let the loaves rise until they are 1 1/2 time the original size.
6. Bake at 410F using steam for the first 10 minutes until the loaves are golden brown.
NOTE: to create steam in your oven: place a cookie sheet or pot on the lower racks with water in it and allow you oven to fill with steam. The steam will give you a crispier crust