Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dilly Bread

This is the first loaf of bread I ever made when I was a young Mom and pregnant with Jacson. It has become a family favorite.


1 pkg. yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup creamed cottage cheese (any kind will do) (heat to luke warm)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp instant onion ( I use flakes)
1 Tbsp butter or margarine ( I melt with cottage cheese)
1 unbeaten egg
2 1/4 - 2 1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp dill seed (not weed , only dry seed )

Soften yeast in 1/4 warm water with pinch of sugar set aside -
combine : sugar ,onion, butter, dill seed, salt, soda , egg,
mix , add warm cottage cheese then yeast.
Add flour , beating at each addition to form stiff dough.
Cover, rise until double in size 20 - 60 min
Stir down , turn into greased casserole dish or loaf pan
let rise 30 - 40 min
Bake 350 40-50 min - remove and brush with butter


I always put a small pinch of sugar into yeast to get it working faster

I use any kind of cottage cheese ,small, large curd etc. it doesn't effect the taste nor texture.
Heat over low flame along with margarine / butter while mixture is
heating I mix all the other ingredients together. Add cottage cheese
then yeast , then flour .
I prefer to use , at times, more onion and dill

No comments:

Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheddar cheese 12-14 corn tortillas 3 tablespoons butter 1 cup sour cream 1 4 oz can of diced gr...