Sunday, June 21, 2009

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

Well I made this....and it turned out great....I washed a load of towels they turned out smelling clean and feeling soft... I am going to wash a load of whites today to see how clean they come...this doesn't make a lot of suds, I guess that is why you can use it in the front loaders. This makes A LOT!!! 10 gallons of the finished product..so unless you do a lot of laundry you might want to cut it in half or share it with someone...

I know that this isn't food but it is a recipe....with the way the economy is I thought everyone might want to give this a try....I might make a 1/2 batch the first time to see how it works.

4 cups hot water
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap bar or ivory or sunlight bar soap (I used Fels-Naptha)
1 cup washing soda
½ cup Borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan of hot water. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until soap is all melted.
Fill a large kitty litter bucket or 5-gallon pail ½ full of hot water. Add melted soap, washing soda and borax. Stir well until the powder is dissolved. Fill bucket with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight.
The next morning the pail will be all gelled and very thick. Stir with a stick to break it up. Fill a laundry jug half-full of the detergent, and top with more water. Shake before each use.
Use ½ cup for top-load machines, and ¼ for front-load.
Use the thickened, undiluted soap as a pre-treater.

2 comments:

Graceful Blessings said...

Oh am I so glad to see you can use this on front load washers. I am definetly going to try this

Graceful Blessings said...

I made this today and it was very simple. Instead of Ivory soad I used Fels-Naptha, find it in the store with the borax and washing soda. Can't wait til tomorrow to try it out. The Fels-Naptha is for Laundry and helps with stains so would probably work better than the ivory.

Easy Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheddar cheese 12-14 corn tortillas 3 tablespoons butter 1 cup sour cream 1 4 oz can of diced gr...